Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sydney Harbour Bridge Climbers


David just couldn't pass up an opportunity to climb something as interesting as the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Neither could his offspring. Unfortunately, Elise was too young for this activity and had to content herself with walking across the bridge and back (.5 km. 1 way). I think the partaking of a chocolate pastry at a quaint French cafe in The Rocks afterward did much to further her contentment.

David, Ian, and Hannah had a great time on the bridgeclimb! They enjoyed some great views from the top and learning a little about its construction; "rivet" is now in Hannah's vocabulary. Too bad Grandpa wasn't there to give bridge design insights. Their climbing route took them up an inner arch, across to the other side on the very tippy top, and down an inner arch on the opposite side. It sounds challenging and scary, but really, it was just going up and down a lot of stairs, all with railings. Everybody was clipped to the railings for extra safety.

Climbers are not allowed to bring anything with them. Pockets must be completely empty; glasses can't be worn loose but must have a band that goes around the head. If anything would drop from the bridge and hit a car below, causing an accident or even a death, the bridgeclimb company would be in some very hot water or even closed down.

We've heard that the Sydney bridgeclimb is not unique; apparently, there are bridgeclimbs in other Australian cities, like Brisbane.

5 comments:

Hannah Noelle said...

Wow how long are you visiting Australia for? I never wanted to go to Australia because I heard they have spiders the size of dinner plates. Wow bridge climbing sounds like fun and it sounds scary. I hope you don't mind me reading and commenting on your blog. I found you through Sophia. And I found her through one of my other friends.

gail said...

I'm glad you are reading and commenting on my blog, hannah. Sophia is a really neat person, probably my very best friend when I lived in Austin, TX.

Australia is a great place to visit! Too bad it's so far from the USA. I haven't heard of spiders as large as dinner plates here. The most dangerous ones here are not the largest.

Sophia said...

Wow! That looks like a lot of fun! Very cool..but tell Elise that I'd take the Chocolate Pastry at the quaint French cafe over the bridge climbing, any old day! :)

BTW, Stuart and I disagreed on the retirement house b/c he wants something very small and scaled down, and I want something bigger for grandchildren and so I can have my space! :) And, of course, ya'll can come and stay at our BIG house in about 20 years or so! :)

Zuzu said...

Wow that is really neat! I can see all the stairs in the background, and there is a lot!

gail said...

Good eyes, zuzu. I hadn't noticed that you could see the stairs in the photo! Neat!