Monday, June 2, 2008

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig

I haven't posted for weeks. . . I wonder if anyone is still reading? Once we got to China, I couldn't get to my blog - or any other blogspot blogs for that matter. I think they're blocked by the Chinese government? Then, I took a week at home to get re-acclimated.

Yes, 29 flights in 6 months, and we're right back where we started!! We arrived home Sunday, May 25, around 6 pm. Upon arrival, I was feeling pretty carpy after 3 flights in a row, 23 hours straight of travelling (only about 18 of those were in the air) - and this on the heels of 2 flights and 1 taxi ride from Lijiang, China to Hong Kong the preceding day. A habit of insomnia on planes didn't help either. However, I wasn't feeling carpy enough to entirely miss the surreality of being back in a place that seemed like it belonged in a different life.

First impressions of being back in Ann Arbor, Michigan:
1. It is SO green and lush here! Vegetation is just sprouting everywhere out of control (especially the dandelions in our yard) - and the trees are tall. We basically live in a forest.
2. Awaking to the sound of songbirds Monday morning was so much more pleasant than waking to the squawking of cockatoos and crowing of wattle birds.
3. After picking up Peppa (Pepper's new more Aussie name) on Monday, I was struck by how she wags her tail nonstop. She must have some strong tail muscles. I'd forgotten about this.
4. We'd also forgotten about the bad Michigan roads. Lots of potholes and cracks.

I am feeling more human this week. Last week, I was tired and woozy off and on and at odd times. I think I'm done with crashing in the afternoons now.

We got back just in time for some members of our family to do more travelling. David has been to California and back already. Hannah went on her 3 day 6th grade trip to N. Michigan last week. They went out on Lake Michigan and collected and analyzed water samples, among other activities. Saturday, David is heading back to California for 7 days, and Monday, Ian is going on his 8th grade trip to Washington DC for 4 days. So, next week will be girls' week in our home! :-) (I think there may be a lot of chocolate.)

Personally, I'm planning on staying home as much as possible the next few months. Yes, this is home in a way Adelaide never was and never could be with such a short tenure. But there are bits of Adelaide that are stuck to me, fond memories that I relish. Toward preserving and sharing those memories, I will continue blogging here until everything I want to share is up. So, stay tuned, if you wish. . .

4 comments:

Zuzu said...

Wow that is alot of flights! How was Peppa? I bet she was very excited to see you guys again!

Sounds really nice to be back home again... :)

gail said...

Hi zuzu! How nice to know that I haven't lost all my readers. Yes, it is very nice to be home. Peppa was really mellow her first day back with us, but after that she perked up. We figured she was feeling OK the day she dug up a small flower garden the girls had planted.

I need to pop in on your blog. I wonder what you're up to this summer?

Sophia said...

Wow! Ya'll sound like you have jumped right back into life in MI. I'll look forward to reading about all of the things that are still stuck to you from Adelaide!

Janet said...

Can I welcome you home from out
of town? I remember being surprised
at how lush Ann Arbor was after
returning from Turkey. :-) Look
forward to hearing about how your
trips to China and Taiwan went!